dinsdag 4 juni 2013

Sohaila 080



A photo shoot in prescription glasses can open new horizons..... Actually, the horizon was only twelve feet away. However, the minus eight lenses in these Zenni glasses - twice Sohaila's own prescription - may have created an image like a distant, dim  horizon.
During photo shoots, I never ask the model about the way the impressionist blur influences her association with the surroundings. There is simply no time for that. Besides,  it's an individual experience to which every model responds in a different way.
A couple of years ago, I did a photo shoot with my partner Nel and when we were ready, she suggested that we might do a change of parts. She'd like to take pictures of me in extreme glasses. So I took a dive into my collection and came back with some myodisc glasses that would not suggest too much travesty. When I put up the glasses, the horizon seemed to be faint and distant. In fact, I did not see any horizon at all. But the brain is often a master of substitution when the routine transmission of information is interfered with.
The only model who ever reacted to the blur in an articulate way was the manager of a gallery, three years back. She has perfect eyesight without glasses. A few days after her photo shoot, she wrote to me, "What a pity that you only came with these extreme glasses at the very end! It was a unique experience, finding myself in a weird but fascinating world".
Looking back, it's a missed opportunity that I did not ask Sohaila about this experience when we went for a meal after the photo shoot. My guess is that she was exactly the model who could have given an articulate description. But the portraits are there and in a way, they speak for themselves.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten