zaterdag 5 november 2011

Lucy 208

























During my photo shoots I usually start with glasses around
the model's own prescription. The "big guns" emerge in the
latter half of the photo shoot when the model is really used
to the mixture of instruction and improvisation. The key is
what may be called a "visual echo". Carla, Lettie (first weblog)
and Marieke all surprised me with their unique way of looking
straight into the camera through lenses that only produced a
massive blur. When I asked them how they did it, the answers
were slightly different but pointing into the same direction. They
said that their handhold was the memory of what they saw just
before putting on the myodiscs. It made sense when memories
of holidays with my beloved partner Nel came back. On several
occasions, she put off her minus eleven glasses on a beach and
walked confidently into the sea, swam for a quarter of an hour
and returned to me with no apparent effort. I was flabbergasted
and asked her, how on earth did you do it? She explained to me
that just before taking off her glasses, she studied the colours of
the objects behind me and she also remembered the colours of
our bathsheets. Some of this "visual echo" effect can be seen in
these final portraits of Lucy as well.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten