vrijdag 17 juni 2011

Margriet 197




















Alain from Paris was my first source of inspiration for portraying ladies
in extreme glasses. I discovered his great website "High Myopic Girls"
by coincidence on the internet, some four years ago and I was fascinated
straightaway. It was immediately obvious that his models were not shown
in their own glasses but that did not matter to me. In his work, Alain "creates"
ladies that exist and don't exist at the same time. Alain is a master photographer
with a great concept. Some of his models clearly struggled with the extreme
lenses but many other models achieved to produce quite natural looks in
myodiscs and I was wondering how they managed. When embarking on my
own project, it was tempting to follow his concept in a small part of a photo
shoot and see how it was done. Carla was my first model who was able to
explain how she achieved such natural looks in myodiscs. It has to do with
imagination, keeping the memory of what the model saw just before she put
up the myodiscs. Recently, Marieke posed for me and she was able to look
straight into the camera or rather, look right through her photographer. Very
intense portraits indeed. Marieke called it "a little trick" - once you have it,
you can go on posing that way almost effortless. A visitor at my exhibition
"Ladies behind Crystal Veil" (Vrijhof, Enschede, September 2010, see
You Tube lentilux) described the looks of my models as "quiet, bordering to
serene" and this made sense to me. Portraits are frozen stills by definition
and portraits in myodiscs often capture a moment of "introspexion" from the
model's side. 
Many models enjoyed the experiment but most of them declared that they
were happy not to be in need of such extreme glasses in real life. Margriet
said the very same thing after posing in these Depai myodiscs. Everything
is relative and some models made comments like, "my eyesight is not that
bad after all". A nice side product of my photo shoots!  

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten