donderdag 18 juli 2013

Doreen 032



In the mid 1960's, cat eye glasses disappeared from the shops. The new fashionable frames were rather small and compact. Here is a fine example of this short-lived wave. What sets this pair of glasses apart is that the frame is made of wood. I discovered several wooden frames in the shop window of an optician in 1966. Some were pretty extreme, reducing the field of vision to about half the size we see shown here by Doreen. The wooden glasses did not sell and within a few months, they disappeared from the shop windows, never to come back. I never saw anyone wearing them in the streets of my native Amsterdam during the 1960's. Three decades later, this pair was a welcome find at a street fair. I recognized the glasses straightaway and bought them without bargaining. The glasses are liked by many of my models, blondes and brunettes alike, and quite justifiably so. Mid 1960's fashion at its very best!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten